Whether you are a professional user or aspiring home renovation contractor or an enthusiastic DIY gardener, having the right cutting tools for a particular project can make quick and accurate cuts on a workpiece by helping to create the best design.There are various types of cutting tools with so many different designs and options. But with recent technological innovation, a cold saw is different from others because of its high-quality features and design. These innovative, perfectly designed appliances make it easy and quick to do tasks simply and quickly. Here, to make your job easier, we'll show you a breakdown of the best cold saws available today and help you decide when making purchases.
View Top 7 Cold Saws Reviews with Pros And Cons, Below
1. DEWALT (DW872) Metal Cutting Saw
- Electric powered;
- 15 amp 4 HP motor;
- 1300 no-load rpm speed;
- High-quality 14", 66-tooth carbide-tipped blade;
- Cuts a wide variety of materials;
- Extra-wide steel base.
Dewalt is one of the bestselling and premium banner brands on amazon. Their dw872 14-inch is a versatile and powerful metal-cutting cold saw to cut an array of different-sized materials, including ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
This solidly built heavy and reliable saw can last for many years with proper maintenance. Thanks to its powerful 15 amps 4 highest horsepower motor at 1300 rpm speed, it offers an excellent cutting performance by regularly standing up to rugged work.
A 14-inch, 66-toothed, carbide-tipped blade can cut up to 4 times faster than a chop saw and cut through the rods smoothly rather than grinding them. Furthermore, the durable edge delivers a lower cost per cut than abrasive wheel cutting and enables the depth of cut to remain stable throughout the blade's entire life.
- Durable multi-cutter;
- Clean and precise cuts quickly and efficiently;
- Quick-release vertical material clamp;
- Ergonomically designed horizontal handle;
- Quick performance than chop saws and portable band saws;
- Smooth, efficient cutting performance.
- Unstable bases;
- Some said that the clamping and fence system is not strong.
2. Makita (LC1230) Metal Cutting Saw
- Electric powered;
- Powerful 15 amp motor with 1,700 rpm speed;
- 4x faster cutting;
- 12-inch carbide-tipped blade;
- Quick-release vise;
- Lock-off button feature;
- 'Tool-less' guide plate for quick adjustment.
Makita lc1230 is another excellent feature best metal cold saw if you need it in the construction site or for home renovation. This specially designed 12" cold-cut blade metal cutting saw is a fitted cut through various applications like iron rods, metal pipe, conduit, tubing, angle iron, etc. Its carbide-tipped blade has a depth of 4.5" and can cut four times faster than traditional abrasive saws.
The powerful 15 amp 120-volt motor offers an rpm of 1,700 speed for enhanced accuracy. You also get a fast release toolless guide plate that adjusts from 0 to 45 degrees for quick and easy miter cutting. It allows you to cut metal pieces of 4-½ inches at 90 degrees and 3-½ inches at 45 degrees.
It also features a lock-off button to prevent accidents and a quick release vise for secure material retention. Some other features like shaft lock system, adjustable guide plate, safety-focused d-shaped handle, safety goggles, etc. make this undoubtedly a heavy-duty application's metal cutting chop saw.
- D-shape handles for secure gripping;
- Large cast aluminum base added stability;
- Shaft lock for easy blade changes;
- Includes multiple accessories;
- Long-lasting carbide-tipped blade offers fast, accurate, and repetitive cut;
- 0-45°miter cut with quick-release support fence adjusts.
- Not suitable for cutting stainless steel.
3. Slugger by FEIN (MCCS14) Metal Cutting Saw
- 2200 watt high-torque power motor;
- 14″ inch saw blade cuts 0-45 degrees;
- Heavy-duty aluminum base;
- Ul/CSA safety approved;
- Blade change tool;
- Eye protection.;
- Dust collection tray;
- Automatic retracting lower safety guard.
Slugger mccs14 is another premium metal cutting saw from highly reputable brand Fein that gives excellent results with high-torque motor speed. This 54-pound metal-cutting saw can make quick, clean cuts in steel, aluminum, and other metals with 2200 watts. When compared to an abrasive chop saw, it generates very little heat during the cutting process. It has an automatic retracting lower safety blade guard that ensures safety by preventing any accidental injuries or damage.
This UL/CSA approved saw comes with a cast aluminum massive duty base that is highly stable and doesn't move when you're cutting metal pieces using it. With a 14-inch cutting blade, it can cut through a wide range of metals. Its powerful motor enables you to cut 5-⅛ inch metal at 90 degrees and 1-⅛ inch round metal at 45 degrees. The built-in dust collection tray inside the base prevents excessive debris by capturing chips for smoother disposal and reduces the cleaning required afterward.
- Durable and stable;
- Low speed, high torque motor;
- Ergonomically designed horizontal handle for better control;
- Quick, clean cuts at all angles;
- Produces less heat;
- Table/base clamp with immediate release;
- Collect dust and reduces debris;
- Smooth, quiet, and very controllable operation.
4. PORTER-CABLE (PCE700) Chop Saw
- Electric powered;
- 15 amp motor with 3,800 rpm speed;
- 14-inch abrasive blade;
- Heavy-duty steel base;
- Spindle lock;
- Spark deflector.
Porter-cable pce700 is one of the most popular metal cutting and DIY chop saws for lighter-duty applications. The substantial duty steel base adds stability by holding the material in the right position for accurate cuts during operation.
Its 14-inch abrasive cutting blade with a 15 amp motor at 3800 rpm speed allows cutting almost all kinds of ferrous and non-ferrous metal pieces smoothly. The replaceable brush provides power and durability, which is enough to satisfy most hobbyists.
The material is designed with an inbuilt spark deflector and a quick-release material clamp. That will surely provide safety as well as also saves time and enhances productivity. Without sacrificing dependability, you'll find a variety of functional features such as a spindle lock, cutting fence with a miter adjustment, and much more that make it an excellent choice for low-cost chop seekers.
- Durable yet lightweight;
- Powerful motor with replaceable brushes;
- Runs smoothly;
- Has a quick-release clamp;
- Cut a fence with convenient miter adjustment.
- Not for large projects;
- Not provide accurate straight cuts.
5. Ironton Dry Cut Metal Saw
- Electric powered
- 15 amps of power
- 1450 rpm no-load speed
- 14-inch carbide-tipped blade;
- Capable of cutting 4 3/4in. Round and 4 1/8in. Square stock;
- 'Tool-less' guide plate for quick adjustment.
People who want a robust and high-efficiency metal saw in a tight budget for them this Ironton 14 inches dry cut metal saw is perfect. This model is a particularly right choice for anybody who wants a dynamic balance between having lots of features and a reasonable price. Powerful 15 amp 120v motor and the durable 14-inch carbide-tipped blade are powerful enough to cut pipe, angle iron, conduit, and more.
You also get a fast release toolless guide plate that adjusts from 0 to 45 degrees for quick and easy miter cutting. Also, it has a quick-release vice, making it easy to repeat cuts and keep your pieces secure. Some other features we love include a safety-focused d-shaped handle, shield protector from debris and lock-off or thumb lock button prevents accidental starting.
- D-handle provides comfortable grip;
- Heavy-duty steel base for stability;
- Clean and accurate cut;
- 0–45° quick and easy miter cutting;
- Lock-off button prevents accident;
- Quick-release vice keeps stock secure;
- Convenient to use in DIY and small household projects.
- Blade didn't stay straight to the workpiece.
6. Milwaukee M18 Fuel Metal Cutting Circular Saw
- Brushless motor with 3, 900 rpm;
- Red lithium battery pack delivers up to 370 cuts in ¾" EMT;
- Redline plus intelligence;
- Integrated hang hook;
- Five-year tool warranty.
Milwaukee m18 (model 2982-20) is one of the fastest, and longest-lived metal cutting circular saw for industrial professionals. This compact and lightweight metal cutting saw is an excellent choice for those metalworkers who need something with speed and stamina.
Its power state brushless motor with 3,900 RPMs speed and 30t carbide-tipped metal saw blade delivers most onerous duty work smoothly, quietly, and cleanly with powerful fastest cutting speeds and most extended tool life on the market. Moreover, the powerful red lithium battery pack delivers up to 370 cuts in ¾" EMT, which is every time you pull the trigger; it offers one reduction per minute for over 6 hours straight. At the same time, the high output XC battery stays cool under severe loads.
Its red link plus intelligence features also offer maximum performance and unmatched durability. Aside from this, it offers an integrated hang hook that allows for secure storage while the tool is not in use.
- Compact and lightweight;
- Fast-acting blade brake;
- Impressively powerful motor
- Ensures more power, run-time, and longer life;
- Fast, clean and straight cuts;
- Active chip collection keeps the work area cleaner.
- Some are complaining about quality.
7. MK Morse (CSM14MB) Dry-Cut Metal Cutting Saw
- Electric powered;
- 14-inch dry cut metal cutting saw;
- 72-tooth carbide blade;
- High-torque 1,300 low rpm motor;
- Spindle lock;
- Chip collecting tray.
If you are an electrician, a mechanical contractor, a heating/ air conditioning professional, or a residential handyman, this premium quality materials metal devil is just for you. The Mk Morse csm14mb is another best dry cut metal chop saw that cuts through the steel and other hardened metals, including pipe, angle iron, metal studs, conduit, tubing, and more as quickly as a traditional circular saw.
This machine's 15 amps (60 HZ) torque motor with 120 volts and an optimum 1,300 rpm rate cut through 6" ¼ thick steel metal rods in 12 seconds flat smoothly and efficiently without causing unnecessary vibrations heat, spark, smell, or excessive noise.
If you are doing framing projects or large construction sites projects or intricate pipe fitting work, then this devil's 72-tooth fitted 14" carbide blade cuts metal applications cleaner, crisper, faster and longer. Its retractable blade also prevents unnecessary injuries. The product includes safety guard, beveling vice, metal devil steel cutting blade, wrenches, earplugs, safety goggles, and operator manuals.
- Cuts fresher, faster, and long;
- Five-inch neatly and precisely cutting capacity;
- Cuts metal instead of grinding;
- Quick and easy changing of the blade;
- Low noise levels;
- On-board blade change wrench;
- No sparks, noise, smell or heats build up;
- Comes with other safety guard features.
- Could use a quick-release vise function.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Cold Saw?
A cold saw is a kind of circular saw that uses circular, toothed saw blades to cut metal. As its name, it uses a liquid coolant to transfer the heat to the chips created by the saw blade when cutting and carrying the heat away from the material and edge and leaving it in a cold state. It also avoids sparks and makes cleaner cuts by applying a steady stream of coolant.
This is a complement to an abrasive saw, which abrades the metal and creates more sparks than a welding torch and a great deal of heat in the metal and cutting blade.
How to Choose the Right Cold Saw for Your Needs?
Cold saws are like circular chop saws, but they work at low temperatures and carry the heat away from the material and blade and leave it in a cold state. If you're someone who cuts metal frequently, then purchasing a cold saw will be worthy of investment. When purchasing a cold saw besides your personal preferences, some essential factors also have to consider-
- Define project;
- Power source;
- Rotation speed;
- Size and weight;
- Chip collection;
- Safety features;
- Extra features & accessories.
Read more: 5 Best Sanders for Refinishing Furniture
How Long Does a Cold Saw Blade Last?
If you maintained a cold saw blade properly, it could last a long time, as many as 800 to 1,000 cuts before needing to be sharpened, even with extensive use. Some tips on how to extend your saw blade life is-
- Use a proper and correct blade;
- Properly install your saw blade;
- Letting the saw blade do the work with proper force;
- Use lubrication on the blade while cutting;
- Use automation to your process.
Are you planning to buy a cold saw that will allow you to easily cut all kinds of metal pieces with their powerful motors and durable blades? Then there is enough information that will help you find all of the features of the various types of cold saw available.
All the tools we listed here come with incredible features that could save you time and money by significantly doing the metal cutting process.