Most miter saws are quite small and portable, with standard blade sizes starting from eight to 12 inches. The miter saw was invented by Ed Niehaus, the Chief Engineer within the machine division for Rockwell International, in 1964.
When you want a 45° or 90° or 135° accurate angle cut or an exact and precision cut with a hand, saw or backsaw or miter saw or even Japanese saw, it is not easy to cut well perpendicular to the support. But with a miter box, you can make accurate angled cuts (typically 90° and 45°) easily, precisely, and more comfortably.
Comparison of Our Favorites
Our Picks of Top 8 Miter Box Reviews Are in the Below-
But finding the topmost miter box, among hundreds of features models and according to your needs, isn't easy. So in this article, by knowing the essential features like price, type, brand, the bad, and the good of the miter box, we've made this guideline for you by selecting an accurate Miter box available in the market.
1. Stanley (1-20-600) Storage Miter Box with Saw
- Aluminum box;
- 90, 45 and 22.5 angle cuts slots;
- It has a Built-in clamping system.
Stanley (1-20-600) storage is a lightweight, durable and straightforward miter box with a saw to make precise, accurate angled cuts or miter cuts in a board securely and efficiently. Its built-in saw system can quickly stop you from preventing cutting into the miter box. For smooth, staple use in various projects, it has two mounting holes in the base.
Its cam-shaped pins twist and lock with a honeycomb base, making the material to stay secure for accurate miters cuts on 45° and 90° angles, face angle 45° and 22.5° angle for octagonal shapes. While cutting, adding stability, and holding the miter box in place, it has an extended lip on the bottom of the box.
- Lightweight and durable;
- Simple to use;
- Excellent cuts with ease and precision;
- Good enough for a DIY;
- 11.81in length box with a patented storage system;
- Molded-in storage bins can hold cam pins and pencils.
- The box is not wide enough.
2. FIRSTINFO Metal Aluminum Miter Box
- Stronger aluminum construction;
- Extended lip base;
- Accurate 45°, 90°, and 135° cutting angle;
- Works well on wood, plastic, and metals;
- One year warranty.
FIRSTINFO metal aluminum miter box is a versatile, excellent kit for using a manual saw or hand saw in producing precision cutting of woodworking, model parts, trim, railway track, etc. projects. It's extended lip base with 90 degrees angle design makes it stable to position and comfortable to hold the piece in the workbench.
This aluminum professional tool quality miter box features slots for three angles- 45 degrees, 90 degrees, and 135-degree cutting edges. This is great for DIY molding and framing projects around the house or working place. With its 1.2mm maximum thickness of the blade, it gives a suitable size cut of materials of 2-inch maximum depth and 3-inch maximum width.
- Portable & durable;
- Useful clamp;
- Very sharp edges;
- Ideal for hobbyists and woodworkers;
- It cuts the suitable size of materials easily;
- The maximum thickness of the blade is 1.2mm;
- Flexible slip pedestal firm and fix the object during cutting work;
- Ensures accurate finishing cuts for a wide range of materials.
- Does not come with any blades or handles.
3. GreatNeck (BSB14) 12 Inch Miter Box
- 12" plastic miter box with a ruler edge;
- Comes with a 14" backsaw;
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime warranty.
Want to cut hard and softwoods for accurate cuts at 90 degrees and 45-degree angles? Then this GreatNeck (bsb14) 12 inches will be the best high impact steel & plastic material ruler edge polystyrene miter box for you. With its 14 inches long serrated edge blade, it can cut slightly more extensive than a 3-inch depth cut.
For exterior and interior woodcutting, it has sharp teeth and precision set, and reinforced steel back saw for accurate cutting. With its two screw set holes on the base of the box, it is very comfortable and easy to use while cutting wood.
- Very comfortable to use;
- High impact steel & plastic material;
- 3-inch reinforced depth cut;
- Make slightly extensive cuts;
- Designed to cut hard and softwoods;
- Enhanced with steel back saw for accurate cutting;
- Suitable for exterior and interior wood cutting.
- Dull blade.
4. Stanley (20-600) Clamping Miter Box with Saw
- Plastic box;
- Patented design;
- 14-inch backsaw;
- Built-in measuring scale;
- Honeycomb base.
This Stanley (20-600) clamping miter box with a saw is featured with a built-in stop and honeycomb base with cam pins designed for a secure workpiece for accurate cut miters on 45-degree and 90-degree, face angle 45-degree, and all-new 22-1/2-degree edge for maximum versatility.
It also features molded-in storage compartments to hold cam pins and pencil and sports a molded lip on the base edge for easy use without mounting or pre-drilled holes in the base for secure fastening workbench. The high impact resistant material molded base and pins ensure the long life of this miter box.
- Lightweight and portable;
- Easy to use;
- Makes super easy, accurate angle cuts;
- Comes with a miter box, saw, and two cam pins;
- Suitable for light work of cutting skirting.
- Flimsy miter box.
5. ELMERS Miter Box Knife and Blades
- X-Acto metal miter box;
- Comes with an X-Acto knife and blades.
The ELMERS is a small metal miter box set from X-Acto that is ideal for creating small picture frames, cutting small pieces of balsa wood, basswood project, and specific crafts. It also comes with X-Acto extra excellent razor saw blade 5.5x1with 1/4 54tooth for 7.19 that is great for cutting metal, balsa wood, and plastic. This mini miter saw is designed to allow cuts at 90 or 45-degree angles and also capable of cutting at square ends, mitered corners, and perfect splices.
- Great for quickly cutting plastic;
- Used for 90 or 45-degree perfect cutting angles;
- Handy for small jobs;
- The guide holds the wood and blade steady;
- Make accurate cuts in small stock, basswood, or moldings.
- Can't give precision or straight cuts.
6. Zona (35-260) Aluminum Wide Slot Miter Box
- Aluminum miter box;
- Wide slot;
- Made in the USA.
Zona (35-260) is the United States' highest quality materials made aluminum wide slot miter box. The miter box has a perfect .031inch wide slot with 3/4inch cutting depth for cutting square ends and mitered corners.
With its 45 and 90-degree cutting angles, it works great for small projects by giving accurate cuts. This mini-miter box has a 1/8" lip on the bottom and a 3/16" hole on the side to clamp or screw the miter box in place.
- 5-1/2inch length;
- 1-3/4inch cutting width;
- 45 and 90 degrees cutting angles;
- Perfect splices and mitered corners;
- .031inch wide slot with 3/4inch cutting depth;
- Suitable to use on softwoods and small projects;
- Easily adjustable with any Zona razor saw or with a mini hacksaw.
- Too thin aluminum;
- Not usable for hardware-store construction.
7. Great Neck Saw (PMB12) Plastic Miter Box
- 12"-plastic miter box;
- Made in the USA;
- The ruler edge ensures rigidity.
Another product by Great Neck saw is a high neck (pmb12) plastic miter box for doing accurate cuts in woodworking projects. In this little plastic miter box's slots, you can easily fit the hacksaw blade to 12" x 4" x 2-1/4" preset cuts at 90 degrees and 45-degree angles. All the features of this bright yellow miter box make it suitable for exterior and interior wood cutting.
- Very comfortable to fit;
- Ideal for accurate cuts;
- Suitable for a small project;
- Ruler scale for quick measurements;
- Holds the materials firmly in the miter box;
- Ruler edge high impact polystyrene construction for rigidity.
- Some complaints about the slots of the saw are too thin.
8. Stanley (20-112) Clamping Miter Box
- High-impact resistant material;
- Built-in measuring scale clamp system;
- Limited lifetime warranty.
Another useful hand tool from Stanley manufacturer is Stanley 20-112, clamping the miter box, which is an ideal miter box for precise and versatile cuts. It has high-impact resistant material with a molded lip on the base edge for easy use without mounting. It holds material securely with two screw holes on each side in the base comes with a twist of the cam pins, designed for a secure workpiece and easy use for accurate cuts.
- Gives precise and versatile cuts;
- Hold material securely for ease and precision cuts; built-in saw stops helps to prevent cutting into miter box;
- Holes in base ensures tight fastening to a workbench;
- To hold cam pins and pencil, it has molded-in storage compartments.
- Cheap plastic box.
Buying Guide – How to Use a Miter Box?
A miter box is an old fashioned, wonderfully simple, and affordable tool used in the woodworking or DIY world to make precise angled cuts in wood pieces. Since these tools are easy to store, use, and require no source of power, so they are quiet and light enough to be easily moved to any project location.
This u-shaped structure miter box has two components—a hand saw whose teeth are used for cutting against the grain of the wood and pre-cut slots are placed into to the top of both sides to help the woodworker to hold the piece in the workbench steadily when making 45- and 90-degree cuts.
Now, How to Use a Miter Box?
Most of the miter box comes with hand miter saws or a mini hacksaw, or miter saw that is usually used for applications like wooden molding, skirting boards, or picture framing to make the finished joint a neat and precise cut.
Begin with marking the angle using a carpenter's square or triangle on the material where you want to cut either on the edge of the face and with a bar or quick-release clamp or via nut bolt, securing the miter box to a stable surface.
Measure your cut length accurately by ensuring you measured the long end of any miters.
Place your wood or trim within the miter box, use any clamps or hold-downs or regular clamps on the sides of the black clamp pins in the holes on the plate, and secure the piece to the box. Ensure that the wood is correctly oriented toward the cut and secured angle so that the saw blade will precisely cut on the mark's waste side.
A miter box is specially used for making exact angled cuts or for precise and versatile cuts or often for the construction of joints for softwoods and small projects.
Here we've tried to give you our suggestions on a miter box with a hand saw sets available in the market to make accurate cuts in small stock, basswood or moldings, etc. Think this guideline will help you to grab your desired one according to your needs.
I am John Dylan. I have a clear experience of different types of tools since my childhood. I started my career as a handyman at a construction company. Later on purpose, I had to work as a plumber, and electrician also.
So I had to research and explore different tools for my own good. In toolsscore I try to share my findings. I attempt to help people find the right tool. Hope it helps.