But it can be a disaster if you start operating your drill machine without knowing anything about your drill or safety tips.
So to get an amazing result without getting injured while using your power drill, you must follow some safety tips.
The tips I’ve discussed in this article will help you to get a proper idea about how to use your power drill safely and easily to complete your job.
By following these 3 easy and simple safety tips, you’ll be also able to protect yourself and as well as your workspace from getting injured or any other accident.
Power drill machines are mainly used in construction purpose or to complete various tasks at home. Drill machine is a powerful tool that is used to make holes in any kind of hard surface, like- concrete, plastic, wooden, metal or even in rocks.
3 Tips for Beginners to Use Drill Machine Safely:
You’ll find various types of drilling machines available in the market which you can also use for your DIY purpose. They are very easy to operate. All you need to be careful and stay safe while using the machine.
Today I’m going to tell about three must follow safety tips with some bonus which is useful for both beginners and experienced user.
Tips # 1- Keep Yourself Safe:
The first tips you must follow is protect yourself while using the drill machine. Because even a skilled person can get injured badly for ignorance of self-protection. You can follow these steps to keep yourself safe-
When you’re going to operate a drill or any other type of power tool, must avoid wearing loose cloth. Wearing baggy clothing can be caught by drill and will pull your clothing in it.
You should also avoid wearing any kind of hanging jewelry as they can also be caught by drill during operation.
So always wear clothing or accessories that fits snugly on your skin.
You must use safety gears while using your drill machine. The most important safety gears are-
- Using safety Goggles at the time of operating your power drill will protect your eyes from metal shrapnel or wood pieces that fly from the surface. If a small piece of these foreign objects enters into your eyes it may cause the ulcer, eye infection or other complications which may be the cause of potential blindness.
So make sure that you wear your safety goggles before starting the machine until you’ve finished cleaning the working area.
- Wearing safety gloves will protect your hands, fingers and wrist from any unexpected slipping during the operation. Because it is very common for drills to slip from plastic, metal, wood or other materials. Only gloves can protect you from the risk of any small or serious injury to your hands.
Go for the snug fitting, thick and durable gloves which will allow you to move your hands freely and save your hand from your drill and bit.
- Noise reduction headphones are able to protect your ears from the incredible noise of the power drill.
- If you are working with brick or concrete will protect your lungs. Because exposing to a high amount of crystalline silica dust may cause you silicosis which is a respiratory disease. Only a dust musk can save your nose and mouth from getting affected by this dust.
- Sometimes you may need to drill a metal object with your metal drill bits which cause an extreme amount of friction and can lead to sparking or even sometimes fire.
So keeping a fire extinguisher within your reach can save you and your workspace from this type of unwanted situation.
Read More: How to Remove Rust From Your Tools
2. Know Your Drill:
Before using your drill for the first time you must know the process of operation. It’ll help you to work safely with your power tool. I’ve mentioned some important tips to ensure that your drill functioning is safe for use.
Research about the Drill: If you don’t have your drill yet, you can do a complete research about the best power drills available at the date. During your research, you must look for these safety features of the drill-
- Check the drill is cordless or corded.
- How long the battery supports the machine and how much time it needs to be charged.
- Is it easy to operate or not.
- The weight of the power drill.
- With which type of material the drill works best.
You should also consider the availability of useful instructional videos available on youtube. Cause you can get a better idea about safe operation of drills from these videos.
Read the Manual:
When you get the right drill for you, give enough time to read the owner’s manual in detail. By reading the booklet, you’ll know about different parts of the drill, how can you change the bit or settings of the drill and most importantly how can you operate your drill safely.
If you're confused about any part of the manual, contact with the support of the manufacturer.
Check Safety Features for Corded & Cordless Drills:
Must make time for cordless & corded safety checks before you’re going to use the drill. Check the signs for frayed cord or leaking battery packs and any other signs which refer to an unsafe machine.
If you found anything unsafe of your power drill, should contact with the manufacturer for instructions.
3. Choose the Right Bit to Do Your Job:
Other tricky tips to learn to operate your drill is knowing about bits and use them according to the requirement of your project.
- Check the size of your bit and look into the manual to know about the proper size of bit you need to use.
- Always use the right type of bit for the material you're going to work with.
- Check the wear of your bit. If the bit has too much wear and tear, it's better to replace it before using for next time.
So these are the basic tips to use your drill machine safely and easily. If you want to know more about how to use your power drill, you can watch this video also-
Think these safety tips may help you to work easily with your drill machine. In fact, not only for drill machine but these safety tips can also help you to stay protected from any kind of unexpected accident while using any type of power tools.
Just don’t forget to wear safety clothing and safety gear while using the tools and remember the other tips I’ve mentioned in this how-to part.
If you liked the post, please leave your feedback.
Average rating / 5. Vote count: